At times you may feel like your friends are growing taller than you especially if you are in your teen years and you keep wondering if there is anything you can do to catch up. The truth is that growing tall is naturally a genetically conjoined process which means that it is out of our control. Being tall is said to boost your confidence levels and this assists you in building better relationships due to high self-esteem. People normally attain their maximum heights during puberty but is it possible for an adult who gets enough of sleep, exercises regularly and eat the right foods to gain some more inches?
Nutrition and overall body wellness or health can maximize your growth potential. Through various activities and adjustments in your normal life routine you can maximize your growth rate in height. The following methods and tips can be of great assistance to you if you are seeking to grow taller than you are
Eat a balanced diet
Eating a balanced diet will not only improve your overall health but also will influence the how tall you will grow. For maximum height growth include the following in your daily dietary needs.
- Ensure you eat plenty of calcium rich foods. Calcium is normally found in green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kales and also in dairy products. Calcium is vital for the growth of healthy bones in your body.
- Zinc is important since its deficiency causes stunted growth in males. The sources of zinc include wheat germ, pumpkin seeds, squash seeds, lamb, crab and peanuts. Ensure you include oysters too in your diet since it is a rich source of zinc.
- Lean proteins such as fish, white meat found in poultry and soy are responsible for promoting muscle growth and also the growth of healthy and strong bones. This will improve the growth rate of your femur bone.
- Vitamin D is known to promote muscle and bone growth especially in children. Deficiency of this important vitamin in the body has been associated with stunted growth and may also lead to weight gain in girls in their teenage. Good sources of vitamin D include mushrooms and fish.
Get adequate and quality sleep each night
It is proven that quality sleep improves overall body health and it is also important since during sleep, the body grows and repairs itself. It is recommended that one should at least get between 9 to 11 hours of sleep if one is still in the teenage years for maximum growth and development of your bones. Research has shown that the human growth hormone is produced during sleep and therefore getting good and quality sleep encourages the production of the human growth hormone.
Avoid habits that stunt your growth rate
Even though there might not be a lot that you could do to grow taller than you are, you can make several adjustments to your daily lifestyle to ensure that your natural height is not stunted or shortened by influences you can avoid.
- Avoid intake of too much caffeine into your body. Even though scientific studies show that caffeine does not stunt your growth, there is a higher chance that too much caffeine can keep you from getting sound sleep. Teenagers and children need many hours of sleep and hence coffee should be avoided since it may hurt their abilities to get quality sleep.
- Avoid smoking at all costs. The effects of smoking cigarettes are obviously known to cause negative effects to the body. According to various studies, teenagers who indulge in smoking or are exposed to second hand smoke tend to be shorter than the ones who do not smoke or are not exposed to cigarette smoke.
- Steroids are known to enhance mass gain and muscle growth but little do people know that the anabolic steroids inhibit bone growth. Teens and children who suffer from conditions such as asthma and use inhalers that release small doses of budesonide steroid are always, on average, about almost an inch shorter than those not treated with such inhalers.
Exercise especially during your teen and adolescent years ensure maximum growth and development
Exercises are well known to keep the body fit and to get rid of bad fats in the body. Working out your body during your puberty and teen years ensures normal and optimal growth of the body and bones. Some exercises such as jumping workouts, dancing and even hanging makes your body active and works out your muscles.
- You should make a point of joining a gym since it will give you good access to proper exercises through muscle building machines. The gym will also keep you psyched up to work out
- Take strolls around if you have nothing else to do. Try to avoid the use of a car every time you need to run small errands. This will keep the body worked out and will assist in proper body and bones development and therefore improve your height modestly.
- You can join a local sports team in your neighborhood or even the school sports teams. This will ensure you burn extra calories and positively get your body taller. The good thing about joining a sports team is that you will not even notice how much you have exercised.